Friday, November 20, 2009

5 Weeks!



I'm five weeks today! I can't believe I've known about this pregnancy for over a week now. Time is flying! Pretty much all of my online friends know and I'm spending lots of time on pregnancy websites and message boards. It's a little ridiculous but this is all I think about! I'm so excited to tell our families next week!

How far along? 5 weeks today!
Total weight gain: 0.
Maternity clothes? Not yet.
Sleep: Sleeping well. I've been having some mid day fatigue and I'm really tired after work but I think that also has something to do with it getting dark so early.
Best moment this week: Hearing my husband say "I think about this baby all day every day!"
Movement: Not for a while yet!
Gender: It will be a surprise!
Labor Signs: None.
Belly Button in or out? In.
What I miss: I wanted a sip of red wine the other night but after I smelled it I was no longer interested. :)
What I am looking forward to: Telling our families next week and our first appointment 12/3
Weekly Wisdom: Keep snacking when your stomach starts to get upset. It will ward off nausea.
Milestones: Changed my due date to what my LMP says: July 23rd. We'll see what the Dr. says in a few weeks!

Here's a peek at what's going on with baby this week:

How your baby's growing:
Deep in your uterus your embryo is growing at a furious pace. At this point, he's about the size of a sesame seed, and he looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. He's now made up of three layers — the ectoderm, the mesoderm, and the endoderm — which will later form all of his organs and tissues.

The neural tube — from which your baby's brain, spinal cord, nerves, and backbone will sprout — is starting to develop in the top layer, called the ectoderm. This layer will also give rise to his skin, hair, nails, mammary and sweat glands, and tooth enamel.

His heart and circulatory system begin to form in the middle layer, or mesoderm. (This week, in fact, his tiny heart begins to divide into chambers and beat and pump blood.) The mesoderm will also form your baby's muscles, cartilage, bone, and subcutaneous (under skin) tissue.

The third layer, or endoderm, will house his lungs, intestines, and rudimentary urinary system, as well as his thyroid, liver, and pancreas. In the meantime, the primitive placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to your baby, are already on the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment